IBL/IPLS Trademark Presentation
Monday, April 3, 2023 12:45pm to 1:45pm
Stephen Baird, B.S. '86, J.D. '90, Shareholder, GreenbergTraurig (Minneapolis) Join Iowa Law alum and trademark law expert Stephen Baird for a discussion of Trademark Fraud and the Great Concepts, LLC v. Chutter, Inc. appeal that was recently argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Steve will share his thoughts on the concept of trademark fraud and answer questions about trademark law and his own experiences in that field. Register by 4 p.m. on Friday, March 31 for...
The NIL Glass Ceiling
Friday, April 7, 2023 12:45pm to 1:45pm
NIL produced nearly $1 billion in earnings for intercollegiate athletes in its inaugural year. Analysts argue that the shockingly high totals are the result of disproportionate institutional support for revenue-generating sports. Although NIL earnings can exceed six-figures for some athletes, first-year data reveals that significant gender disparities exist. Tan Boston is an assistant professor of law at Northern Kentucky University, where she teaches property and sports law. Her career...
The mission of the IBL Center is threefold:
- To offer speakers and programs that enrich the College of Law's curriculum pertaining to the laws governing entrepreneurship, creativity, competition, technology and corporations.
- To provide support to students who seek to build careers in these areas.
- To engage law students, faculty, and the public in cutting-edge discussions about legal issues raised by technological advancements.
We accomplish this mission by:
- Hosting academics, practitioners and judges who interact directly with students.
- Supporting student organizations such as the Intellectual Property Law Society, IP Moot Court teams, and the Journal of Corporation Law.
- Providing summer stipends for students doing unpaid legal work in intellectual property, technology, corporate or business law, antitrust, health law, and related fields.
Areas of law encompassed by the center's mission include:
- Intellectual Property Law, including copyright, patent, and trademark law;
- Antitrust and Competition Law;
- Business Associations and Securities Law.
Director and Funding
The Director of the IBL Center is Jason Rantanen, and its activities are entirely supported by the David M. Hellwege, JD '73 Fund.