We at the University of Iowa Innovation, Business & Law Center are thrilled to announce the recipients of the 2020 Innovation, Business & Law Center Prize for the development of talks related to the topic of Examining Institutional Structures: Race, Business and Law. The IBL Center received a large number of excellent submissions and it was very difficult for the selection committee to choose the winners. Each recipient will receive $1500 to develop the proposed talk. Recipients will present their talks over the internet as part of the fall 2020 IBL Center speaker series. Additional details about the date and time of talks will be provided at a later date.
The recipients of the 2020 Innovation, Business & Law Center Prizes are:
- Cassandra Jones Havard, Professor of Law and Director, Charles Hamilton Houston Scholars Program, University of Baltimore School of Law, for Financial Exclusion as Economic Subordination
- Keith Robinson, Associate Professor of Law, Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor and Co-Director, Tsai Center for Law, Science and Innovation, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, for Artificial Intelligence and Access to the Patent System
- Audra Savage, Senior Lecturer and Postdoctoral Fellow, McDonald Distinguished Fellow, Center for the Study of Law & Religion, Emory University School of Law, for Beyond Aunt Jemima: Holding Public Companies Accountable for Dismantling Systemic Racism
- Ana Santos Rutschman, Assistant Professor, Center for Health Law Studies & Center for International and Comparative Law, Saint Louis University School of Law & Ruqaiijah Yearby, Professor, Co-Director, Center for Equality, and Co-Founder, Institute for Healing Justice and Equity, Saint Louis University School of Law, for The Exclusionary Clockwork: Mapping Structural Racism in the Intellectual Property Ecosystem
- Daniel Schwarcz, Fredrickson & Byron Professor, University of Minnesota Law School, for Implementing a Civil Rights Approach to Insurance Anti-Discrimination Law
- Tabrez Y. Ebrahim, Associate Professor of Law, California Western School of Law, for Normative Considerations of Algorithmic Discrimination & Prescriptions for Data Fairness
We hope you will join us for their talks this fall!